Friday, September 9, 2016

Take on the soccer coach

I'm coaching youth travel soccer this fall, I don't know anything about soccer.  I wanted my daughter to play some more competitive soccer which meant that I got roped into coaching it.

First of all, it is a heck of a commitment with two practices per week (albeit one of those is done by some British trainer the league hires) plus a game every Sunday.   I've coached a bit of rec soccer and had a blast but that was more or less letting the kids scrimmage and wearing them out so they'd be good for their parents the rest of the day but now I'm in the big time and I don't know a forward from a halfback.   I know the very basic rules of soccer (can't touch the ball with your hands, corner kicks, throw the ball in with two hands without leaving your feet) but don't know a thing about strategy, formations, substitutions etc.    I can't figure out when a player is off sides, up until today I thought a tackle was..well a tackle and I can't tell you what the hell a fullback is and why he isn't blocking the halfback.   Obvious in have no clue about any real soccer skills or drills, and so far my strategy is to let the British guys do all the heavy lifting (assuming they don't show up loaded) and I just sit back and reap the rewards. 

Any help welcome and schtick suggested 




Sent from my iPhone

No comments: