Sunday, June 5, 2011

Taking on Sexist Dads

As a father to a young girl I have noticed a disturbing trend. Whenever you see a father with a kid at an organized activity from a music class to swim class that kid is almost always a son
I take my little girl to a tumbling class and it's striking how I'm the only one who has ever shown up with my daughter without my wife being there. I took her to swimming class and I was again the only man there with a little girl.. I'm not saying that fathers never take their daughters to places but whenever you do see a dad chances are they are with their son. It doesn't hold true with moms and sons but it's almost as if fathers can't take their daughters anywhere without the moms hanging around.
Now when the kid is in their teenage years there might be some natural bias based on mutual interests but when the kid is a toddler what the hell does it matter? This country is so sensitive about sex -not the act but the gender- that men feel uncomfortable in social settings with their daughters.
Guess there is still some stigma for men changing diapers or some other crap and I guess maybe fathers are uncomfortable as they don't know where they should change their little girl as they don't want to bring them into the mensroom.
I agree that I don't want my kid sitting on one of those piss covered toilet seats but when she's still in diapers that makes no difference and even most boys early on sit on the throne.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: