Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Taking on the Max

Last month when ESPN Radio personality Jared Max came out and became the first openly gay sportscaster it seemed like a big day, I'm not sure why it should be but it seemed another wall had come down.    I have never listened to Jared Max but I'm all for people being able to be the person they are and not feeling like they should be in the closet but it wouldn't make me listen or not listen to him past maybe an initial listen to just find out more about the way he runs his show.   With that said I turned on his show this week, for no other reason than the fact that my entire internal clock was off and I was up at 5AM. 

The problem with this show is that once you get past the fact he's a gay-guy talking sports, it's just really a terrible show.    The production feels like you are stuck in a RadioLab loop, the content is tired and lame and his delivery sounds like he's completely constipated.     I spent 25 minutes listening to him ask his audience riveting questions like 'who is your all time favorite Yankee?'   

Dude it's mid June and I realize there is an NFL lockout but between baseball, some NBA uncertainty, tennis, golf and NASCAR there are plenty of thing to talk about.   This dude has 1 hour of time to fill and the best he can come up with is a show based on people calling him with answers like Dan Pasqua, Bam Bam Meulens or Mickey Rivers.  

The way I see it, coming out was the best career move this guy could have ever done, he has drawn some new listeners to his show and he has now that insulated himself from ever getting fired.   How much heat would ESPN Radio be under when they actually fire him.  It won't matter that his rating stink because they won't be able to.
They would have to hire another gay guy, a couple of Mexicans and a female tandem to do afternoon-drive to over-compensate so they don't get attacked by every human-rights organization from here to Castro.

 

No comments: