Wednesday, June 15, 2011

take on the international data plan

In preparation for a 10 day Asian trip, I called both of my wireless carriers (AT&T and Verizon) to add an international data package.    Traditionally Verizon's package has been more comprehensive and I've traveled with my BlackBerry from Egypt to Romania to China and Korea and never had an issue.   The plan they offered was roughly $50 and gave you unlimited data overseas while AT&T always made you pay per MegaByte which at least feels more expensive and is obviously more limiting.    I call AT&T first and am given a number of packages which range from $24.99 for 20 megs to $499 for 500 megs and eventually settle on a a package where for $199 I can get 200MB for a month.   This seems like a ton of money but as I'll be in a number of places, hotels and cars I don't want to be left with no option and they did assure me that you can take the package off when you land and that they prorate the usage for the month.   So assuming I use 67MB or less over the 10 days, I can cancel it when I land and pay only $68 or so.   It's not a great option but for $68 I should be able to get pictures, emails and do some light surfing plus I'll have my Verizon package to lean on for my heavier usage.

Well I call Verizon next and am met with the new company line which is that they no longer offer an unlimited international data-package and that they only option they offer is some kind of limited data package.  This isn't a great option but as I don't have that many options I inquire further.   They then tell me that since i'm flying to Asia there actually is NO data package at all and that the only option is a straight pay as you go .   They are charging $20 per megabyte.   I ask to clarify since even AT&T's smallest package is $24.99 for 20 megabytes and the rep checks into it and confirms the price.    I know that a single picture can by 2 megs so $20 per megabyte is going to cost me a total fortune.

Explain to me how Verizon who claims to cover you anywhere with their entire 'can you hear me now' campaign basically is now saying that 'you can't hear me or get emails now that i'm in China'    

No comments: