Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Last Great Rock and Roll Band

I present Guns N' Roses..

they were a great R&R band because they did it the way you should

Drugs, Chicks, Booze, Smokes, Tattoos, Stadiums, Clubs, drama from a prissy front man, an ultra cool lead guitarist, a big hat, a GREAT album, japanese fans, older chicks flashing me at Giants stadium, rhythm, beats, catchy hooks but mainly they were angry and anger brings on great music

Give me a band since 1985 that can compete.. don't give me U2 they are really nice guys and they want to save the world but they had no edge.. well they have Edge but they had nothing going on, no drama. yeah i'm sure the Joshua Tree is really good but I can't imagine a guy playing football and getting himself pumped up listing to "in the name of love".. Good God, shoot me.

I remember when they had Noriega's surrounded and the US Troops were just blasting "welcome to the jungle".. That told you what was about to happened and that comes on and you feel it. Metallica couldn't hold Guns' jocks then and can't now.. Enter Sandman is to Welcome to the Jungle what Britney Spears is to Samantha Fox.. one is a contrived creation of the pop media and the other is a dirty whore.


And we all have to love RadioHead and Greenday and Coldplay but there is not one time I could imagine driving down a road and wanting to blast my radio with the radio pumped up because i'm listening to X&Y and I feel the music pumping through my veins.. If you were caught listening to this you better hope you got a bottle of KY.

Read Rock is not about being HARD or listening to DeathMetal, that stuff is completely unlistenable. There is nothing that rocks about ProPain or Propane for that matter.


There are a ton of things that make the kids of this generation soft: Sitcoms, parents not allowing their kids to go to the park themselves, videogames, chewing gum, kids not playing league anymore, basically parents being happy to castrate their kids at birth... We'll see it in 10 years when we are't competitive on the world stage anymore, when it all becomes obvious.. You can wait for that then but it's in the lack of heart of Rock & Roll where you'll find it now.

I'm not sure what it looks like today but I remember having three amps in my room, a drum kit, wall to wall Guns N' Roses pictures, two guitars and speakers I bought from some savage. now give me a 16 year old kid in today's room whose entire room is covered in pictures he cuts out of the Hit Parader of this generation and I'll show you a kid who wears pink shirts and pops his collar. Grit is what this country lacks and Rock and Roll was the expression of that..

I am not sure what the kids listen to now but my best guess is that the only chance you can get Rock and Roll today is by listening to rap.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Does anyone else have a boner right now?

Unknown said...

i still listen to samantha fox! i love her!