Sunday, August 10, 2008

I have a Gas issue

I read last week that Americans drove 30 Billion less miles in the first 5 months of '08 as compared to '07.. Pretty big number but then I thought what does that really mean.. Wikipedia says that there are about 250 million cars registered in the US.. If that number is true then Americans drove 120 miles less per car in 5 months, that is not even 25 miles per month..

I would have guessed much higher than that when you hear these CNN reports about families not taking vacations because of the price of gas..



Even at $4 a gallon that probably only saves each family about $10 per month (let's assume 18-20 miles gallon and each family has two cars x $4 gas)..



Maybe I'm not doing the math right, dealing with all those zeros makes my hair hurt.



I did notice a lot of empty seats when I saw the highlights of some Nascar event on Sportscenter the other day..



I know that we can't drill ourselves out of this mess but If the Chinese negotiate with the Cubans to start drilling off their coast (which obviously is our coast also) then that argument is kinda moot.

It is great to see the T. Boone Pickens plan for wind power even if I'm not convinced his intentions are purely good. In fact I like the concept of renewable energy so much that last year I called ConEd last year and switched the energy I receive to wind-power.



To help regenerate it, I've been running a fan night and day.





Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: