Sunday, April 5, 2015

Take on the videos on ESPN and CNN

One thing I think companies have severely overestimated is the amount of video content their websites should have. Every other story on ESPN or CNN is a link to a video clip which almost always starts with a 15 second commercial. The two issues are that the likelihood of me waiting through the commercial to watch the clip is 50/50 at best and even when I do sit through it, the chances of actually seeing the video aren't that great as there are countless loading errors on them.
The second thing they have overestimated is the ability for people to watch videos at work or on a train or bus. I am doing my best to waste time without anybody noticing, I don't need to have a segment blasting through my office discussing Calipari's downfall. Highlights might be different but when it comes to everything else I think they had it totally wrong. Most people just want a story, a couple of quotes and a link to another story, I can' tell you the last time I had an interest in watching a press conference or interview off of ESPN's homepage.

Give me good (short) content on your front page and dig deeper with some additional links. In a world where we digest our info 140 characters at a time, this is all I have the energy for.

No comments: