Sunday, April 12, 2015

Take on Jenrry Mejia

Just heard that the Mets closer Jenrry Mejia got suspended for 80 games for some kind of outdated PED that nobody is a using anymore and I thought.. typical Mets.   

The second thing that came to my mind, sadly, was that another of a litany of Dominican players who have been busted since the harder testing was out into place.  This was after the mostly American group (except Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmerio) obliterated record books completely juiced.  More than half of all players suspended for PED's were Dominican  according to a study in 2013, and this week's rap sheet only continues that trend.  I have no doubt the Cubans, Americans, Puerto Ricans and Japanese (well maybe not the Japanese) are doing it, too, but they seem to have figured out how to evade it a lot better.  

What did surprise here is not that Mejia is out for a while because he got busted for PED 's and not just going under the knife for Tommy John surgery which seems like it would have been par for the course for the Mets

But still but what really shocked me is that for the last year I was convinced his name was "Henry Mejida"  cause that is what it sounds like when Evan Roberts says it.  How the hell Jenrry turns into HEN-ri. I have no clue.  And what kind of name is Jenrry

Benigno on the other hand has no idea who the guy is. 



Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Baby Stu said...

He's not scheduled to go under the knife just yet (although that seems like an inevitability). If/when that happens, it'll be his second TJS and that's always fun!

Mr. R. Lee said...

Rafael Palmeiro is American. Grew up and went to high school in America and everything.

That's why he speaks perfect English -- e.g., "I have NEVER used performance enhancing drugs. I do not know how I could say it any clearer than that."