Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Organic or Orgasmic

A comment on yesterday’s TOR post by frequent reader and infrequent relief bitcher Bump Bein got me thinking


His comment “green, the new "organic" got me thinking about a conversation I had with the Mrs. Earlier in the day.

Is it just me or do people basically use ‘organic’ and ‘good’ interchangeably? Now I’m all for fresh-food, family owned farms, no pesticides, true cow manure as composite, free range chicken and fresh stream fish but I find the marketing of ‘organic’ as an insult to our intelligence. I feel like when people review food they have three categories: good or bad unless it’s organic which means that it’s also good.

Just the other day I had a conversation with somebody about their lunch and she said “the salad was great, it had spinach, peppers, free basil it was great, completely organic” I understand where she was going with it but we have all gotten sucked up into this huge marketing scam where just because something is organic the assumption is that it is also good. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a piece of brown lettuce or an insect infested tomato which I know probably goes along with the fresh-grown feel but when you paid twice the price and you are picking pieces of soil from between your teeth it might not feel like it’s worth the big bucks

I’ve had great organically grown meals and terrible ones but because they can all be classified under one umbrella the assumption is that it’s all high quality and I don’t think this is fair to the real organic ones.

First of all who is making sure that organic is really organic and secondly should there be a grading of levels of organic? Maybe one farm doesn’t use pesticides which is enough to get qualified as ‘organic’ while another one doesn’t use pesticides but also doesn’t use manure from steroid injected cows, on a family owned far, using only filtered water by legal migrant workers, packed in recycled bags and trasnsported using solar-powered trucks. I believe this should be allowed to put Organic X100 on its label!!

No comments: