Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Checked out

We all know that Facebook kind of sucks but they keep pulling more and more people into their web which spawns ridiculous applications like Farmville, Ms Cleo's horoscope and other bandwidth killers but these are all slightly better than this new application called "checked-in" on Facebook.   'Checked in' is the most self-involved application for the biggest self-righteous bastard around.

This new application basically announces the exact location of the user at any given time.     I'm sure this is just the next thing on Facebook which is a basic variation on the original concept of the Status Update where people would be under the mistaken impression that I gave a crap that they are sitting on their couch or having a burger at Wendy's.  What has happened now is completely ludicrous as we have such an overboard where people feel the need get you the exact coordinates of that burger.

 I'm not sure if this is something the user has to actively do or if there phone acts as some kind of GPS feeding information to Facebook.  What I do know is that my entire Facebook feed cluttered by information about the whereabouts of people who I otherwise may have forgotten existed.  The sad thing about it is that it also shows how completely lame their lives are when you follow his every movement by reading that he " just checked into the Wendy's in Edgewater NJ"  or that he  "checked in at the bus-terminal".   

I understand that social-networking breaks down a lot of barriers and social norms and that I'm going to have to accept being bombarded with crap that I otherwise couldn't care about but I cannot tell you what is more annoying than waking up and having been spammed by some bald-prick who I went to High-School with announcing he's checked into the George Washington Bridge or is at The Palladium.    

I can basically break it down to the following mathematical formula

"Check-In" =  the self-important attitude of a self involved jerk and then multiplying it times obnoxious

 

No comments: