Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm with the Band

I love weddings, love the ceremony, the party, the flowers, the vows, the food and the fun. I'm a junkie when it comes to this stuff. I have been to some great weddings, some good wedding and a lot of blah weddings which when you consider that I have been to 40 of them in the last decade means I've seen a lot to complain about.

One of my biggest peeves has to do with the music since it can single-handily make or break a party and I have been to thousands of weddings where the DJ seems to think he's at a Bar Mitzvah or the Eight Grade dance. DJ's so often ruin receptions when they can't understand that they are not the star of the show. These guys all think that the party revolves around them which is the complete wrong attitude. The best DJ is the one who you don't notice. I am not one to say you should just put on an IPOD because a DJ does have the ability to keep a party moving and when he's good he plays to the crowd but when a DJ sucks he can be a drag.
But still at the end of the day he is almost certainly better than a band. .
I know there is a perception of class when talking of a live band but honestly it's a sure way to bring the party to a screeching halt. Now I have nothing against live music but a wedding band is like riding on a highway with red-lights. Once you get going and the wind's blowing in your hair BOOM a red light. Their music stops, everybody looks around and 30 seconds later they start again. There is no flow, no rhythm and it's murder for a party.
The other issue is that although these bands can be quite good and some can be extraordinary they are so limited to a certain time-frame of music they play. I can't rip it up when I'm getting three Aretha Franklin songs, two Marvin Gaye ones and then a selection of twist-and-shout and a few Huey Louis ones before it's time for their 30 minute break. They come back and crank out two Beatles songs and a Jackson 5 tune before SHOUT and then they are on break again

So th official TOR view is NO to live music at weddings but also don't get a shitty DJ.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

I've missed you TOR-- so busy havne't had time to read. catching up for a few minutes, and I love this post. I echo your sentiments exactly! :) And, just to let you know, your wedding is at the TOP of the list of good, memorable times. The other component to the best wedding is a happy, and partying bride and groom. If they aren't dancing, nobody is.