Saturday, May 15, 2010

FB generation

I have no idea what the percentage is at this point but I have to imagine 50% of the country is now using some kind of smart-phone so I was shocked when sitting in a conference last week with a guy explaining to a bunch of middle-aged mid-level managers about the differences between Facebook and Email.

This is where there is a huge disconnect, half the room couldn't tell Facebook from a phone book and the other half is updating their status as he explains what it is. I then spend the rest of lunch trying to explain to a bunch of guys why I use it as they stare at me like I have three heads. The funny thing about social networking and Facebook in particular is that it's hard to explain to somebody. You can explain what it is but I can't explain 'what' it is.

The conversation goes like this

Righetti". So you update your status and people see it
Other Guy: why?
Righetti: well, you can tell people what you are thinking
Other Guy: so why not email me that?
Righetti: well but if you want to get it to a lot of people
Other Guy: so it's like CC on an email
Righetti: yes sort of, but people share pictures
Other Guy: like email right?
Righetti: yes, but it's different
Other Guy: how?
Righetti: everybody can see it
Other Guy: anybody so it's like email SPAM?
Righetti: no just guys in your circle of friends who you have chosen to see it
Other Guy: so it's like deciding to send an email to everybody in your address book?
Righetti: sort of but people respond to the status
Other Guy: you can do that on email.
Righetti: you don't get it


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: