Tuesday, May 4, 2010

100+

I haven't played golf in a few years which I attribute to a number of issues the biggest of which is that as both a resident of NYC and a father, I can't seem to justify spending the 8 hours it takes to drive to a local course, wait to get onto the course, hack it up for 4.5 hours and then drive back. I know there are people who can find time for it but at this point in my life, I cannot.
But with that said, I have not given up on the game and after having hit a large bucket of balls out on the driving range this weekend, I have decided that I am not totally done although I will never play golf with the same level of butchering I have done so in the past. See when you are bad at golf, I mean REALLY bad, the joy is gone by the time you have hit it into the woods for the 10th time. There is no fun when you are constantly dropping your ball in the water hazard drop-zone or playing from behind a tree and the cost of losing 20 balls per round makes it that much worse

I remember there was a statistic on Pedro Martinez years ago when he was the ace on the RedSox. The book on him was that her had 100 pitches in his arm and that after that he fell apart and there were complete strategies (which the Yankees perfected) where they would take so many pitches that he'd hit the wall in the 5th inning. Martinez had to compensate knowing this and try to throw strikes early and often which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Well golf is the same way, any swing after 100 is miserable and at that time I am so tired, cranky and overheated that the chances of a decent shot are about as good as me holing one from 125 yards out.

From this day forward I have decided that I will no longer take 130 golf swings in a round, my limit is 100 and my goal is to be significantly underneath it.
This is how I will achieve my goal is that I'm going to have to conserve my shots and will not fall into the Grady Little fiasco where I'm facing Jorge Posada with 120 pitches under my belt. Basically when I hit 100 swings then I'm taking myself out of the game, no questions asked. If that means I am stranding on the 10th green so be it, I'm just walking off and I don't give a crap what gentleman's code I am breaking.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: