Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Take on the Google Suggestion

I am often a big freaked out by Google's ability to suggest something
to me as I am typing something in the search-bar. It's almost more
impressive when, what they suggest, is more interesting to me than
what I came to look for. But unlike the NSA, most Americans seem more
than happy to five up all their privacy when it comes to finding a
great pair of beach slippers or a cheap Thai restaurant
But every once in a while, I get confused by the suggestion they have
for me. Like today, when I searched "designation wedding" looking
for a good picture to add to a yet-to-be-written TOR entry. Along
with a thousand pictures of nuptial exchanges on the beach, there was
an odd Google Suggestion. Namely, were you intending to search for
"black designation wedding?"

I clicked on the link, because I did not realize that there was this
thing as a black destination wedding, and wanted to see how this
differed from your standard destination wedding. Maybe they play less
John Mayer or eat less sushi or maybe African American's are more
likely to make their friends and family shell out thousands of dollars
to watch them exchange vows, so that type of wedding needs its own
search page, but I needed to know


Turns out, Black couples love to have destination weddings, or at
minimum post pictures.

I wonder how the google bots name them, because none of the pictures
were titled "black wedding"
Maybe they just scan all pictures of and find black people on the
beach and automatically group them together?

No comments: