Saturday, June 15, 2013

Take on the Father of the Year dissolutions

Four years ago, I had these dissolutions where I was still convinced that someday I'd win father of the year.   I'd never yell at my kids, they'd only eat organic fresh grown food and most importantly, I would never be the dad who broke out the iPhone at dinner.  Fast forward four years and I've long come to grips with the fact that I will come up short on most of the promises I made for the future generation.  I have become my own worst nightmare and unapologetically so.   I feed my kids pizza at restaurants as opposed to going home to cook, I sometimes keep my eyes shut hoping they think I am sleeping, I lose my temper almost daily over the most trivial crap like putting shoes on and most embarrassingly, I resort to my IPad whenever it gets too hard.  This $600 machine is fully loaded with videos, games and apps, all for the 3-5 age group.  Years ago, I lead the army criticizing uninvolved couples who did this, always demeaning their love and commitment to their kids because they fell back to props to care for them. With ADD on the rise, and kids addicted to the glowing screen, I was going to break the mold, I wouldn't cave because I'd care more for my kids than anybody else could care for theirs.  I felt justified because I knew I'd never resort to such cheap careless tactics yet today I lead the opposing army. 
My kid watched 4 hours of various ToyStory's on the plane ride to PR this week.  She will undoubtedly watch countless more before the trip is done.  

But at least I find time to blog 



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: