Saturday, January 28, 2012

taking on the 'I'm not a racist...but" guy


Whenever somebody starts a statement with ‘I’m not a racist but’ I immediately cringe.   There is no other statement that I can think of that makes me more uncomfortable than this one and it’s one of those situations where I just hope for everybody’s sake that as soon as somebody starts a sentence like that, that they jump out of a moving car immediately and spare us both the next few uncomfortable minutes.      What the hell are you supposed to do other than point out that just because you say “I am not a racist’ doesn’t in fact make you not a racist and almost always means that you are a racist. 
Just the other day I got into one of these scenarios and was immediately struck with the dilemma whether or not to confront them or just to stay quiet and like a bad-rain storm hope it passes quickly.    But if you know me, you will know that I have an incredibly hard time keeping my mouth shut.   So there I go, after a long day of work, stuck in a conversation which you just can’t win when the dude tells me he wants to live in a place where he doesn’t have to see color.   I guess there is a difference between keeping racist separate and vowing to exterminate an entire one.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

omg i totally always say "i'm not a racist but"