Sunday, January 22, 2012

Take one the three grades of gas

I've often heard that the biggest rip-off in the world is NJ gas.
People tell ne that although easily $0.50 cheaper per gallon that the
gas is watered down so you are not getting nearly a much oomph. I'm
not sure how that could work since I've always assumed that the octane
level has something to do with the purity of the gas and my assumption
has been that there must be some regulation to enforce a standard so I
can't imagine that these multinational oil conglomerates would risk it
all to save a couple of bucks leaving those kinds of shortcuts to
environmental risk calculation.

But what really gets me is the though of 89, I have never met anybody
who puts 89 in their car. Just look at how they price it, although
the purity of 89 is much closer to 87, they price it just south of 93
because they are fully aware that there are only two types of people
in this world People who fill up regular and those that don't So
the battle is already won when somebody wants a premium product, they
just have to price it so that there is no enticement in getting the 89

1 comment:

The Bump said...

plus if they stopped refining the mid-grade the price of the other two would go down since there would be a larger raw supply not allocated to mid-grade