Monday, January 23, 2012

take on the obsessive elevator button presser

I have taken an elevator up to my office for 15 years and i've noted the strange behavior of the people who I share that intimate time with.   I've observed the almost perfectly coordinated subconsious dance people will do as new ones enter and exit the elevator to ensure the maximim amount of personal space and the general level of respect people for their fellow passengers by keeping conversations to a minimum and the observation that the door-close button is the equivalent of a placebo because I'm convinced that button is not attached to anything.   There is one thing that still baffles me..
 
So often a guy will walk into an elevator I'm on which is heading down and will press the 'G' button even after it is lit.   Maybe this is just routine or maybe it's our fool-safe method to avoid technical glitzes but it seems very strange to waste the energy to press a button which is already lit.
If you fear that the button has malfunctioned, I don't see how pressing it again will help and if you believe the button is on constantly than how would you even know that it has registered your request but mostly when you get into a down-elevator in NYC and observe a bunch of people wearing winter coats and fuzzy hats..I think it is more than safe to assume they will be going directly to the ground-floor.
 
 
 

No comments: