Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two dudes one couch




I have been trying to explain this to my wife but she thinks I'm full of crap.

She thinks that when I watch TV while friends are over I'm being antisocial, I argue that I'm being completely social and this is what dudes do.

See when two dudes are hanging out they do best when there is a third element of stimulation to make sure there is no drag on the conversation. I have perfected the ability to discuss the important points of life between pitches in small twitter-like bursts of info because I don't honestly want to know much more.

Years ago I heard that every conversation has a pause every 7 minutes. This pause or uncomfortable silence is death to dudes because dudes cannot handle this level of discomfort and there is nothing in this great world fear more than those 30 seconds. The perfect distraction is sports which is the reason that no dude will ever complain when another guy turns on ESPN. We know this uncomfortable 30 seconds is going to come, it's just a matter of 7 minutes so why not be proactive and prepared when it does.

I would prefer this void be filled with football or playoff baseball I'd take hockey or basketball and even those wacko sports like rugby and handball and might even settle for (gasp) tennis.



So when two dudes sit watching TV and speak between pitches or downs this is called "hanging out" not anti-social.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: