Sunday, October 4, 2009

Car Shopping


I'm not one who cares about cars, don't care about performance, engines or 0-60 times. I actually haven't owned a car in almost 10 years and I'm quite fine with it because honestly living in NYC means that having a car means you'll be circling the block hours on end to try to find a spot. Well everything changed a few weeks ago and now it's time that I once again become a car owner. Not knowing anything about cars, I go to the dealer yesterday expecting to be able to test-drive a couple of cars and then deciding based on a few options.

I should have known I was in trouble when the dealer I went to is the one that sponsors the NFL picks in the Daily News every Friday. Whenever you are buying a car, don't buy one from a place who shares ad space with strip-clubs and massage parlors.

I walk in and immediately get picked up by the piranha salesguy from Staten Island named Vinny Goomba or something and I could've saved myself a major headache if I had just walked out right then and there because

and the conversation goes something like this

Righetti: so i'm looking at one of those Santa Fe's, I called and they said you had one available for $17,500.
Would like to take it for a test drive

Staten Island Sales Guy:
Great, let me show you around the car.. this is the engine, these are the seats and this is the IPOD dock

Righetti: looks good, so lets take it for a spin

SI Sales Guy:
No problem, just need to get some information together

Righetti:
OK (as I hand over my license and give him some other info)

SI SG: so this car has an MSRP for $22,000, i can do it for $20,000

Righetti: Oh, I was quoted 17.5

SI SG well that was an internet quote

Righetti: it was over the phone

SI SG: well that car is stick and it has rebates

Righetti: I can take the stick

SI SG well that car isn't here

Righetti: i called this morning

SI SG: it doesn't come in stick

Righetti: :confused:

SI SG: listen you want a deal?

RIghetti: i want a car

SI SG: I want to make the deal and I won't tell you any lies, what can you give me so I can tell my bosses you are serious

Righetti: not sure but I was thinking of $17,500.. I came in here only because I got that quote

SI SG: what can you give me so I can go to my bosses to negotiate?

Righetti :confused: I'd like to take it for a test drive before we start this

SI SG: I got you but what number are you thinking about realistically?

Righetti: 17.5 but really lets go for a spin first

SI SG: listen a lot of people want to go for a drive and then leave and waste everybody's time, so what can you put down so I can go to my bosses?

Righetti: you mean what percentage cash could I put down if i bought the car?

SI SG: no what can you give me now, maybe a check or a cash to show you are serious

Righetti: I am interested but not ready to sign something now or leave a deposit: I've never even driven this car

SI SI: I understand, but my bosses are the enemy right now, it's us vs them so I need something to go at them with.. If you want me to get you a deal

Righetti: I'd like to take it for a test drive first

SI SG: if you are not interested in buying a car today we can set up a test drive later this week

Righetti: but I'm here now and would like to take a test drive now

SI SG: we don't have any cars to test drive today, it's very busy

Righetti: I am the only customer here

SI SG: we can set something up when you are serious

Righetti: I am serious

SI SG: so lets talk a deal, i can do $18,999

Righetti: i just want to test drive the car

SI SG: if i can do 18.5 do we have a deal?

Righetti: so you want me to give you a check for a car I've never even driven?

SI SG: it's like going to a club in the city, you need to show you are interested.

Righetti: I'm buying a car, not listening to shitty techno

SI SG: my bosses are my enemy, I'm trying to get you the deal

Righetti: not sure i'm interested in "the deal" more interested in a test drive

SI SG: if you aren't going to be looking for something today and no test drive today, there are no cars here

Righetti: if i told you i'd buy a car today could we go for a test drive

SI SG: yes

Righetti: I thought you said there weren't any cars

SI SG: give me a check and we'll sign a contract and then go for a test drive, of course the contract is dependent on the test-drive

Righetti: I don't want to sign anything, I wanted to get some information about a car

SI SG: listen my bosses are my enemy right now..

Righetti: i know you've said that

SI SG: so can we make a deal

Righetti: I need to put some money in the meter..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this may be my favorite tor! this would be a great skit on SNL haha, at least its better than what they showed last night:)

-Nora

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

That's amazing. What a jackle. I hope the next stop is at a less sleezy dealership.

Righetti said...

my life is like a Jimmy Fallon show.. nobody watches and nobody is really very entertained..