Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Metropolitan "blah blah blah" Diary



As regular readers to TakeOnRighetti know I think that Metropolitan Diary section in the Monday issue of the Times is just a place for people to brag about their otherwise boring lives. You often get somebody who writes about how they got stuck on a subway on the way to give blood and then something funny happens.. The fact that they were giving blood is irrelevant but they use this as a forum to brag.


Well today's section had it's usual pompous crap like the following one
My 6-year-old grandson lives downstairs from me in a two-family house in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, and sees me almost every day.

One rainy and windy day in autumn, I picked him up from his after-school program. I moved quickly and purposefully through the cold rain, anxious to get home as soon as possible. Camilo, on the other hand, insisted on stopping to pick up every interesting stick or rock and jumping in every puddle, soaking himself and me in the process.

I warned Camilo several times to hurry up. Finally, exasperated, I yelled: “This is the last time I’m going to tell you to stop jumping in those puddles. Now come on, so we can get home.”

My grandson walked by my side, head down in a petulant sulk. After about a block of this, he tugged on my hand and looked up at me with a very serious expression.

“I wish you were the grandma who lived over the river and through the woods,” he said.

Elena Schwolsky

Typical, some grandmother braggin that she sees her bratty grandsome almost every-day. This has NOTHING to do with the story.. Just a forum to brag.


But to be fair, sometimes they are actually pretty good and pretty funny.. One that caught my eye which was different and made me laugh today was

Dear Diary

Watching election-night coverage at the home of a friend in urban Kansas City, I wanted to share the historic moment with our adult son in New York, so I sent a text message to his phone: "networks showing Rockefeller Center and Times Square. Where R U?"

"I'm at a bar in Harlem," came the electronic answer

Striving to keep the rare exchange alive, I quickly wrote "Obama won."

With remarkable understatement, he replied "I know. I'm at a bar in Harlem."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

DAVID, LMFAO. WHAT THE FCK IS THIS METROPOLITAN BLOG U KEEP MENTIONING?!?! lmfao you hate it but love it! you keep going back for more! you are funny.