Sunday, January 11, 2009

I run because I am




Some days I run because I love being outside, the sounds of the birds, a nice breeze or the crackling sound of the fresh snow under my sneakers.
Some days I run because I am in training and I have a long term goal
Some days I run because I need some time to myself to clear my head.
Some days I run because I'm running a race and I want to challenge myself
Some days I run because I basically run every day and this is my routine
Some days I run because I know I should

And some days I run because it's the only way to turn off the jack-hammer in my head, on those days I run to sweat out the liters of alcohol pulsing through my body.

Nothing like a Roarin' 20's party to make a thirty something feel like he's a twenty something again, if only for the duration of his buzz.

I gotta say that there probably is no better method of beating a hard hangover, the kind caused by multiple shots of Jack and Jose, than 5 miles on a treadmill. Of course you have to come with to grips that your neighbor on the elliptical machine will be breathing in your fumes as I you are a 1981 pinto in Egypt. If you can come to grips with that, then I say lace up your running shoes and run till the pounding stops.

This is the reason I will be running outside today but with my luck (and this ice) I'm sure I'll be eating gravel at some point this morning.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

i also work out like crazy to purge myself of toxins. that's definitely my main reason and has always been! i'll go drinking and binge-eating like crazy and the next day i think i can cancel it all out by sweating like a crazy person in a bickram spin/kickboxing class. then i do it all over again.