Thursday, January 29, 2009

AverageAhole.com



A few years ago I came up with a business model. It was a business model based on criticizing other business models. Basically I designed a professional outlet to bitch and complain and tell people what I think. It was going to be called AverageAsshole.com


The thought-stream behind it was that I am just that: an average asshole and sometimes you don't need complex market research to tell you an idea is a bad one. Basically the "average asshole" would have told you that your idea was flawed and had you asked him, you would have saved millions.

First of all you don’t get more average than me: I got average grades, I am completely average looking, I have never won the D-Cup in our fantasy football league, I went to a state college and I have an average blog

But the real reason I should run this place is because I have great vision when analyzing average situations.

For example, a few years ago there was a fairly big consumer website called Pets.com. It was a one-stop website for all your pet needs, from food, to pet toys and those annoying little jackets they make dogs wear. I remember distinctly thinking “This will never work, I have had dogs my entire life and you get new dog-food when you turn the box and realize it’s empty. People will never plan far enough in advance to go get a box of cat food three weeks before it is finished."

Plus the above-obvious fact that there are a ton of other places where you can get pet food while getting a ton of other stuff like toilet-paper and dish soap likes target.com, amazon.com and freshdirect.com. What they thought might be their ideal audience is an audience that wouldn’t go to a place to only get pet-food and their selection of other items didn’t compare to what other companies offered.

Long story short.. Pets.com fails miserably and there I am standing there thinking: why didn’t they just ask a few Average Joe’s to see if there this was something they would have an interest in and whether they would even use it. Take a Friday night, invite 20 buddies for free pizza and beer and kick the idea around, it would have been the best $200 they ever spent.

Of course there are a ton of other businesses bound to fail, like the bagel shop in my hometown which I commented would fair cause there was no place to park in front of the joint. Bagels and coffee are an in-and-out place where you want to throw the car in park and be back in 20 seconds on your way to work. This place closed down in about a week, again ask me before hand and this is the most obvious fault in your business plan.

So I’m opening the doors for AverageAsshole.com again and invite you to submit your terrible business propositions to me at TakeOnRighetti.blogspot.com and I will tell you why they suck!!!!!

(then again the Average Asshole may very well tell investors in AverageAsshole.com that this is not a money making enterprise, which will only cast the tortured businessmen into the sea)

1 comment:

warren2600 said...

7 MINUTE ABS!
Think about it.

You walk into a video store, you see 8-Minute Abs sittin' there, there's 7-Minute Abs right beside it. Which one are you gonna pick?
And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
Plus, If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".