Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Thoughlessness of the No Thought gift



Regular TOR contributor Philthy Ryan commented on this recent entry about crappy gifts, where we were making the point that there is no value in getting a crappy gift.   The entry was suppose to be wrapped up with this line
I can already see it now, I rip open some red wrapping paper and gaze upon some crappy sweater or ugly picture frame and think “I wish you would have saved your money.” Screw the concept of the “thought that counts”, my theory it’s "the gift that should count."

Mr. Ryan makes the point that what this editorial's message was not only lost with this line but actually contradicted the original message. We agree that there appears to be a different message embedded in this line than we meant to convey and now believe we would have better off stating , it's not the 'thought that counts' but rather the thoughtless gift that shouldn't count.

The point here is that don't get me something unless it is well thought out and not something I want to hang myself with. The gift which had virtually no thought behind it, is actually not gift at all but just trash.   It is the Trojan horse, it forces a thank-you for something that was probably just re-gifted.  

The worst offender for something like this is something you are expected to display in your home, this is a double ball kick. When you get an ugly sweater you can just toss it in a goodwill bag but a wall painting or an ugly vase is gonna be the kind of thing that somebody asks about the next time they are at your place.

My apartment is too small, my patience to short and I am too cranky to want something hanging on my wall that I don't personally love.

That's it for now... More later

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: