Saturday, December 6, 2008

Take On The Grease Trucks

I hate to admit it but as a Rutgers alumni who spent countless hours and dollars and put on about 40 pounds at the Grease Trucks in New Brunswick NJ, I feel bad for the kids at RU today cause they don't know what they are missing.

When I first got to Rutgers there was exactly one fat sandwich.. the Fat Cat (two cheeseburgers, french-fries, lettuce, tomatoes and ketchup all wrapped together in one roll). By the time I hit my junior year there was a Fat Sam (Cheesesteak, grilled chicken with french fries and the lettuce/tomato combo) the Fat Moon (i think this had an egg in it) and the Fat Koko (which was basically a gyro with a cheesesteak). Well 15 years since I first entered the campus, they've added 40 different combinations of Fat Sandwiches from the Fat Fallafel to the Fat Chick but let me tell you, this is when more becomes less. First of all the additions they come up with every time I come down to Rutgers are just annoying because they have pretty much run out of ingredients and each "new" sandwich are just a classic with or without one ingredient. But not only are they just all versions of the same thing but by adding this many options they've cut back on the real guts of the sandwich.
Now you feel like you are really only getting french fries and bread and somehow they seemed to have cut the amount of grease. The guts of a Fat sandwich is in the meat not the french-fries, somehow they've raised the prices by 60% since I left college but taken about 50% of the meat out of the sandwich.

Last week I stood there hammering a Fat Joe or something and I realized that it had been 3 bites since I had a piece of cheesesteak.

If you are not going to have a top BCS football program, at least have a great sandwich!!!

No comments: