Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I am the Grouch Who Hates Crappy Christmas Gifts

If you are planning on getting me a gift this year, please make sure it’s good because I really hate receiving crappy Christmas gifts, bahumbug.   Now I must say that I’m not a against Christmas and I’m not anti-gift, I just prefer good gifts over crappy ones.



I can already see it now, I rip open some red wrapping paper and gaze upon some crappy sweater or ugly picture frame and think “I wish you would have saved your money.”   Screw the concept of the “thought that counts”, my theory it’s "the gift that should count."

The Righetti gift concept is pretty easy. I won’t get you anything unless I see something I think you really will like. I haven’t gotten any friend a birthday gift since probably age 10. And that time was only because my mom sent me to the Roller Rink with a $20 bill stuffed in a crappy card.

This is my promise to you, when I find something I think is perfect for you, I’ll buy it and give it to them the next time I see you. You’ll probably never see me show up at a birthday party with anything other than my smiling mug and if do show up with a present the chances are that it isn’t for you.

Now I think I’ve made it clear I’m not a big fan of the crappy gift but when I do get one of these trinkets please make sure it’s not totally worthless because I am a big fan on the re-gift (as the re-gifter not the receiver of a regift). If you are going to give me something that I don’t want, at least let it be something I can give to somebody else.

There is no place the crappy gift is more prevalent than at a Secret Santa or a White Elephant swap. This is when most people try to get rid of shit in their house they themselves don't want.  Honestly I have gotten more crap from these things than anything else because chances are you are buying something for somebody you hardly know. And even when the gift is good it still sucks, because I already have 10 of those easy wine-bottle things and a hundred Jets shirts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

vizorganizer or fannypack? hmm, i think fannypack!

Unknown said...

i like jets shirts! ok so i hate little useless gifts too. i get so many. i also am not into little wedding favors and bridal/baby shower favors. they sit in my apartment and you can't do anything useful with them. i only like edible things and body lotions/cleansers. lmfao those you get at bridal showers usually.