Friday, April 18, 2014

Take on the tip for the outdoor parking lot attendant

Is there any more ridiculous tipping situation than when you pick up
your car from an outdoor parking garage? I go to pick up my car
today, wait around for about 5 minutes as the dude is playing Tetris
with a six cars which is ridiculous because my car is sitting right in
the front row. I feel like I could just step into it and drive off
but don't want to have a policeman pull me over for stealing my own
car. The dude finally walks up to me, I give him my ticket and he
walk two steps to my car, steps in, starts the car and drives it up no
more than 3 feet, turns the car off and gets out of the car. I now
feel like I need to drop a buck in his hand when in actually waiting
for the guy cost me more time than if I had just stepped into the car
and drove off and what he actually did was nothing except probably
cause some damage to my starter for starting the engine and shutting
if off two seconds later.

2 comments:

Mr. R. Lee said...

You are supposed to tip at least 2 dollars -- not 1 dollar -- to the parking valet and typically more if it is a nice restaurant or club. I personally never tip the valet less than 3 dollars.

Righetti said...

this isn't exactly a valet.. this is an open air parking lot and the guy drives the car all of 20 feet... $1 is more than enough