Thursday, October 6, 2011

take on the unsubscribe button


Taking on 'Unsubscribe'
Last week I bought something on RedEnvelope and since my modest purchase I have gotten completely bombarded with emails from them.    I swear I have gotten 10 emails in 5 days advertising special presents for anniversaries, birthdays and Christmas (it's October 6th by the way)..   So after almost of week of this, I decide to take action and click on the small 'unsubscribe' button on the bottom of the email and this is when the fun starts.   I'm basically asked to run through an obstacle course of crap with questions to which of the many other related news-letters I want to adjust the frequency of receipt on as well including ProFlowers, ProPlants, ProPain, Personal Creations and a bunch of other ones. 
First of all the default on all of these things is 'yes please send me a copy of this great informative newsletter' so just clicking on these email preferences links means you actually have to pay attention.   When I'm finally through the entire concept including warnings that I would now not be receiving the special offers and discounts they email out..   The entire unsubscribe process feels like trying to cancel a gym membership at Jack LaLane I get asked a final question.    What is the reason you want to unsubscribe with reasons like
-          I get too many email from RedEnvelope
-     I get too many emails in general
-          I'm disappointed in the offerings in the emails
-          I am not interested in buying anything at this point
-          I don't feel the emails are geared towards my needs
-          Etc etc.

If there was ever a need for 'YES ALL OF THE ABOVE' this is it

No comments: