Friday, October 14, 2011

Take on the Porta Bed

While travelling through Europe I came across these pod-hotels in one of the airports in Germany..   They're set up all around the airport and like one of those massage chairs allows you to use them for a set amount of time to help kill a few hours in the airport. 

My first thought is that this is fairly interesting, mostly because I have had long layovers and having a real bed to lay on, versus trying to prop myself up in the lounge has never been all that comfortable.  The problem I have is that there is just no way to know how clean these things are.    They look like they came directly out of Amsterdam's red-light district and there weren't any cleaning crews visible.    I know that a few years ago there were these porta-johns that were stationed around the city which were supposedly self-cleaning  which I always saw as being as effective as a self-cleaning oven..  I know that there is no way to know if a hotel-room is truly clean but at least they are typically big enough to help evaporate some of the liquids people leave behind.. this thing is like the size of the tin-can from the Apollo missions…with about as much fresh air

 

No comments: