Monday, October 17, 2011

take on the semi-stalker

Last week I ran into a guy I went to High-School with at some random event we were both at.   After a couple of minutes of small talk he said 'yeah I see your stuff on Facebook, pretty funny'  

The only thing funny about this is the fact that

-          I de-friended this dude about 18 months ago

-          I haven't posted anything to facebook in about a year

 

Now I don't think he was actively lying because I'm sure he really doesn't give a crap and this is just the new version of elevator small- talk, instead of the some lame conversation about the weather you say something random about seeing something funny on facebook almost out of obligation and you can both go on your way after 5 minutes.  
 
But it does get me to a greater reason why you don't want these guys in your virtual life.   The reason I'm glad he didn't say anything specific is that although I have nothing against this dude, if he did know something about me it would have meant that he was stalking through my profile since I don't actively post anything.   I defriended him because I don't need him knowing where I live, what I do or what my family looks like and I wouldn't blame him if he felt the same way.    I actually think it would be more awkward if a guy who I haven't seen in a decade would have come up to me and said 'can't believe your daughter just turned two, you celebrated your five year wedding anniversary a few months ago, your training for a half-marathon and your mother is going back to school."

No comments: