Saturday, October 1, 2011

Take on the Amazon review

I buy almost everything online from groceries, to diapers, to clothes and presents.   It's mainly because of convenience with the amount we all work and travel, there just isn't any time to do everything else so you have to take some short-cuts and with free shipping with Amazon Prime it almost always makes sense financially too.   The conveniences are great, the prices are very competitive and with the ability to price compare you know you are generally getting a pretty good deal.   Of course buying a pair of pants is risky, buying art work is a total shot in the dark and buying produce from FreshDirect is like throwing money down the toilet but there are plenty of things that can very adequately be purchased online.    We do also realize that shopping online has another drawback in that it hurts local businesses so we make sure we still do some shopping locally but long gone are the days of spending 10 hours in some Long Island shopping mall with a gun pointed directly at my groin. 
the other issue with online shopping is obviously that you can't actually see the merchandise, so very often you are going on blind faith unless you put a lot of trust in those online reviews.    My issue has always been that reviews tend to skew to the negative.  I can say getting raging mad if the shirt you bought came with a huge stain but who the hell is going to go back to the website to put a glowing review of a pair of socks they just bought.  Amazon's response has been in their attempt to get a truer cross-section of their customers by bombarding their customers with these surveys of every purchase.   I alone must get 5 requests per week to review some random item I bought.
The issue is that in most cases, there just isn't much to say.  They ask you to rate how satisfied you are from 1-5, how likely you are to buying again, how likely you would be to recommend said product to a friend, how likely you are to buy from this vendor
This week along I got asked to review a pack of $1.99 party streamers.   How the hell do you review something like this.   I paid $2 for streamers which did exactly what they were supposed to do....they decorated my living room.  They were not higher or lower quality streamers than other ones I have bought before, buying them would not specifically steer me towards this vendor but I certainly wouldn't  review the transaction negatively.   I feel like some transactions, like buying the Daily News from the deli up the street are just that.. a transaction.   The service is nothing spectacular but I don't need it to be.   
So I go to write my review which says something like 'i was satisfied with the $2 streamers they were very festive'  and am about to give it 3 stars for satisfactory... but now i am in a dilemma as I know these vendors really need 5 stars to help their business.    The issue is I don't give out five stars very easily because if I give one for the streamers what do I give for great service or an exceptional deal or a vendor who goes out of their way to make sure I'm satisfied? 

So although I was perfectly content with my purchase but if you are going to quiz me on them then I will say that  they were not particularly festive as the yellow was a bit faint and i'd probably prefer some with some higher tensile strength but then again for $2 what the hell can I expect

No comments: