Friday, July 24, 2009

A beautiful morning with dew on the trees and an open path around prospect park.




I can’t tell you how happy it makes me when I’m about 25 minutes into an early morning run. I love the thought of being out there before most people are awake, seeing the sun-rise, hearing the birds chirp and seeing the occasional wildlife creature. I will also say that being up at 5:45 to run is also somewhat humbling because although most people are sleeping there are still quite a few people out and doing stuff including one guy who I’ve been watching for ever.

This dude has been running Prospect Park every morning for as long as I can remember, I recognize him because he runs the park clockwise while almost all other joggers run it counter-clockwise. Now this isn’t what makes this dude nuts. What makes him nuts is that I’m 99% certain he is homeless.  First of all he talks to himself while he runs, he wears a dirty white undershirt which was white but is now yellow from sweat stains, long white tube socks and these little black Reebok sneakers the kind which would snap my ankle if I would run in them for 1/4 of a mile.
He has terrible form, runs like he’s pulling a refrigerator on his back and looks completely uncomfortable doing it. But he is out there every single morning and he isn’t running only one lap because if I’m doing a few laps I’ll pass him 3 or 4 times.   I have convinced myself he's probably a recovering crystal-meth addict and this is a way for him to get his high but of course what do I know.   He's only out there in the mornings and it doesn't matter if it's rain or shine cause I'll always see him running

I’m gonna have to bring my BB with me and take a picture of him and hope he doesn’t notice because I’m not sure I can outrun him.

No comments: