Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Backack Pain




Not exactly sure what I did to deserve this but that nasty back-pain I had about six months ago is back. My lower back feels like Bam Bam Bigelow did the jig on it. So not only do I feel like I’m suffering from a disability without the benefit of one of those disabled parking passes but lower back pain seems to effect everything you do, I can't walk, sit, work or play pocket-pool without it feeling like somebody is stabbing me with a dull kitchen knife.  . I would expect it to hurt if I were to pick up a sack of bowling balls but for it to hurt when I’m sitting down is another thing.

I’ve done everything I can think of

1) Took my wallet out of my back pocket when I sit down

2) Stopped carrying around the 55 pound statue of Adonis

3) Been trying to sleep on my back as opposed to my side, although I’m reading that sleeping on your back is actually not good

But nothing has helped.

The funny thing is that when I go running it actually feels a lot better, like it loosens up although I can’t really imagine that the pounding on your bones and muscles can really do anything but misalign my back. It then doesn’t hurt much for the rest of the day, so the pain is higher early in the day. I do know one thing, when I was in college they did one of those scoliosis tests where they have you stand up and they adjust all these little ropes to show how your back looks. Well my skeletal frame looked like Gumby.

The chiropractor told me that they can realign my back but I was in college and didn’t have a pot to piss in, let alone a few hundred bucks to give this quack. The irony is that my back is aligned like a gumby but it feels like the opposite of a gumby because I can hardly move.

So I’m desperate and asking for help, does anybody in the TOR army (an army of one I guess it might be) know anything about how to cure back pain…especially with the marathon training just beginning.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

david! ok i totally know what you mean about backpain and how it magically disappears when you are exercising! omfg i don't get it at all. a couple years ago i used to get really bad back pain about every 6 months. like i wouldn't be able to stand up from a chair normally and walk normally. it was embarrassing. another time i had whiplash but it was caused by my poor form in an abs class. anyways, so when i had horrible back pain, i still decided to go to class and do pushups and kickbox and i seriously had NO back pain while doing that sh!t. be careful when you become an obsessive dad cuz my dad was obsessive and he'd feed my a*ss forever and then one day he stood up too quickly from the couch and his back was never the same ever again. my mom still talks about this.

i'm slowly trying to get myself together again. i'm on & off. some hours i feel happy and then other hours i want to commit suicide. maybe i'll write a soliloquy right now.