Thursday, April 9, 2009

there is no We in team



when you are watching your favorite team on TV you have to realize something: You are not part of the team, you are not getting paid to play and whether you watch or do not watch has zero influence on how the team plays.

I don't care if you show up with an authentic Robinson Cano jersey, you have season tickets or if Michael Kay is your uncle.  Get it through your thick head you are not on the squad since they don't pay you to play and you don't have any influece on the wins and losses of the team

The only time 'we' is at least somewhat acceptable

1) if you are a member of the team

2) if you own the team

Other than these two reasons you should use "the Yankees", "the team i route for" or "they"!!!

I'll take it a step further.. if you are the 25th man on an American League baseball team or the last guy on the basketball squad your use of 'we' should be limited.

I might conceded that the use of 'We;' when you are talking about the Olympics is OK in some situations but I am not even sure about that..

And I'm sick of people telling me that they use 'we' because they claim they are die-hards and have posters on the walls, tattoos on their arms, and jersey's on their backs.

You can be a huge Tiger Woods fan but you would never say "we won the Masters", why???? BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT TIGER WOODS

You could be a big fan of the Slumdog Millionaire and it wins for best picture you don't stand up and say "we won an oscar" .. you know why you wouldn't? cause you had nothing to do with the movie (unless maybe you are Indian)

And don't give me this bull about paying big money to see your team play.. you pay big money to watch an individual sport, a movie or a play on Broadway but that doesn't make you part of the production (unless I guess you are dating the chick from The Little Mermaid)

2 comments:

Sneha said...

I guess I just may be the exception :-) fantastic blog!

Cathy said...

one of my in-laws always says "we" when talking about sports teams. i find it very annoying & want to kill him. i also kinda cringe from embarrassment.