Monday, February 23, 2009

Why do smart companies do stupid things?

A few weeks ago after the Mrs got groceries; I went to the refrigerator and started bitching and moaning that my wife had bought the cheap store brand orange juice. You know the watery crap that has no pulp, little flavor and is more acidic than a Grateful Dead concert. Little did I know that this store brand crap she bought was actually the new Tropicana box!
I had a lot of complains :
  • First of all the color on the box looks more yellow than orange, immediately I thought it would be watered down. Orange juice has the word “orange” in the name; doesn't take a genuis to use it!!!
  • second why am I gonna spend $4.50 for a box that looks the same as the generic box that costs $2.23? I have an image to uphold when I have guests over clamoring for orange juice
  • third of all the lettering and layout where totally gone, I love that straw in the orange look, this was brilliant marketing, now they just have letters that you have to turn the box on its side to properly read
  • fourth of all, I’ve never bought anything other than Tropicana, why would you want to alienate a loyal customer? Why have me think that you've gone out of business?
Well the good news is that somebody in the marketing department of Tropicana got bitch-slapped back to their senses and the old traditional box is coming back according to the NY Times.
hey Tropicana clowns.. next time you do this consult with AverageRighetti.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Philip Ryan said...

Totally agree - some idiot at the company was bored with the old look but that doesn't mean the rest of us are!!!!

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

They probably paid some marketing people a lot of money to come up with the new dumb idea.