Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Paper


So I have a lot of friends who read the paper every day but unlike me they are not responsible for the destructions of 100's of trees per year, as they read it online. I know this is the way of the future but I still wonder if they are losing out on the real pleasure of the paper..you know the feel of turning the actual pages, the grime of the ink on your fingerprints, the layout, the ability to see the whole story on one big page as opposed to reading 6 sentences on my blackberry..


Now I know that the complete destruction of the newspaper industry is right around the corner which is becoming blatantly obvious when you see that the NY Times has already started putting advertisements on the front page. Basically going from 'all the news that's fit to print' to all the news that can fit in between ads for the CBS' new Monday-night lineup and a new sectional couch from Jennifer Convertibles.

So I figured that I should make some lists of reasons to not get the actual paper delivered

  • For one I'm killing trees, although as a good liberal weeny I have committed myself to be an expert recycler,
  • For two it costs me like $25 a month which I've already considered spent a set monthly expense, so this would be like getting a free $25.
  • For three I'm limited to the opinions and editorials that this paper wants to discusses
  • For four there are always a bunch of crappy sections I have no interest in reading like the Sunday Styles or the cullinary section
  • For five are all those coupons and flyers which just weigh me down
  • For six a buddy of mine tells me I look homeless as I walk around with a crunched up newspaper shoved into my jacket pockets.
  • For seven every morning I make the entire D Train commute look like I've decided to train a puppy on the subway

But I can't read the paper on my blackberry and I will not wake up early enough to read it on my laptop.. Which leave my only option the Kindle which is impossible to get and are like $400 even if you can get one..
So until I get the Kindle I am forced to keep paper, plus you never know when you need to put some paper down for a puppy or homeless person on the train.

I have good reasons to keep the actual paper but there is a hidden reason to keep the paper. See I'm afraid that if I cancel my subscription I will find myself picking up one of the options from the newsstand on the platform, in which case I'm stuck between the

  • Daily News who gets their facts wrong a lot but can tell you a lot about the makeup of the Yankee rotation.
  • NY Newsday which would be great if I need to know what happened at the PTA meeting in Huntington Village last night,
  • The Post which is obviously the place to go if you want to know when Lindsay Lohan is going back into rehab but not that good if you want to get a fair assessment of Gaza for example
  • One of those free rags they give out when you are walking to the subway. If the terrible content doesn't get you the hepatitis from the dude pgiving it to you probably will. Plus they make TOR look like the epitome of grammar.

I think I'll stick with what I have.

3 comments:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

I appreciate that you always find pictures to go with your posts.

Sadly, I read TOR more frequently than I read newspapers. However, I do listen to all the news I need on NPR waking me up on the alarm clock every morning. And then 10 minutes of news-radio in the car, where they cram every news story into little soundbites between traffic reports. :) tThe grand total of 25 minutes of news that I get each day is enough depression for me!

The Bump said...

I buy the paper six days a week. Like a good jew i take saturday off. The times monday(easy crossword get to impress people at work when I finish in like 12 minutes), Tuesday(science times, easy crossword 16 minutes) Wednesday(dining in(I will take yours if you don't want it)), Then thursday I usually have to get caught up on paperwork and stuff so I buy the daily news which I can read while driving to work. Friday back to the times(weekend arts preview, Crossword a little harder maybe 30 minutes)) sunday the times and star ledger(gotta see how new jersey is messing up this week. hate that corzine.)

Keep buying the paper dusty. Don't let Benjamin Franklin die in vain.

Cathy said...

i read that free newspaper david. i am still self-amused and lmfao over me constantly saying your name. is this supposed to be an anonymous blog? anyways, i totally only read that free metro ny paper. if i had to read a real paper, i'd probably pick the ny post. i am not an academic, intelligent kinda person so i lose interest in WSJ and NYT kinda papers and i don't really understand the wording all the time. but metro ny is perfect cuz it's written in easy english so i understand everything. i used to get my news from howard stern when he used to be on 92.7. omfg i am actually writing a soliloquy about this right now so it's funny that i'm reading your blog about this sh!t. i love your writing style!