Sunday, October 12, 2008

how do you end a text conversation

 










rant
Philthy makes the following point the other day, why a text message conversation can never end easily.    Seems to annoy the piss out of me too cause the conversation drags for no real reason.

R: "hey what was the name of that movie you were telling me about?"

J-  "Dark City"

R- "that's right, thanks"

J- "no problem"

R- "have a good weekend"

J-"you too"

R- "later"

J- "later"


at $0.05/message this seems like an awfully expensive way to drag on a conversation... I know we are moving into this tech world which is supposed to make communication easier but really do we have to be cordial in every possible setting?   This is why that blackberry messenger thing is so good, because the assumption there is that the conversation never 'ends' it just pauses.   You ask a question, get an answer and the next time you need something you start it back up again..

The reason that blackberry messenger works for me but AIM or MSN messenger doesn't has to do with the fact that the BB messenger is on your person and somehow the expectations are different that the CPU based messenger programs. People (at least of my generation) also don't expect you to hold a prolonged conversation over this thing.
This is primarily a problem when you get into a MSN messenger conversation with somebody you have no real interest in talking to.   I'm sitting at work, you know minding my own business when all of a sudden right on top of my excel sheet a window pops open with some inane message like
"what you doing?"

the rest of the conversation goes something like this
"not much, what's up?"
"nothing"
"cool....."
"what are you up to?"
"running you know, keeping busy"

I then minimize the window and go back to work when 2 minutes later the stupid window blinks orange again with the message 
"you are not very good at this"

WTF, i didn't ask to get into this conversation and I can't be asked to be a dancing monkey at a moment's notice.   I hate my life sometimes.


end rant

No comments: