Tuesday, August 4, 2015

take on the Trader Joe's experience

I was speaking with a couple of buddies this weekend about Trader Joe's, the hierarchy basically breaks down like this

- Chips, crackers and other junk food for snacks
- Frozen items like the dumplings, the pizza and the pancakes
- packaged cold-cuts
- cheese
- drinks
- wine (not in NJ sadly)

everything else is basically horrible, their produce looks like my ass, the chicken smells like my ass and their fruit tastes like my ass.. so unless you like the feel and taste of pimpled five-hole, stick with the prepacked stuff. 

If you buy a pack of organic chicken it is bad easily 5 days before the sell-by date, the bread has more growth than the underside of a boat and the milk tastes like I've been soaking my feet in it..



1 comment:

Mr. R. Lee said...

I never understood the fascination with Trader Joe's.

I'm fine with shopping at Vons, Ralph's, Safeway, or any number of regular supermarkets. Or Costco to superstock on shit for months.

And if I'm feeling gourmet and chic (or if someone drags me there), then Whole Foods.

Trader Joe's is like this halfway between standard supermarket fare and Whole Foods. And their selection is small. They don't even sell real brand name soda. It sucks there.