Thursday, February 6, 2014

Take on FIOS cancellation penalty

I've had a great experience with FIOS over the last year and a half
but like all good things, they seem to have to come to an end. And
like most utilities, the end is more painful than anything.
See, you can't exactly cancel your FIOS account, they make you jump
through more hoops than a Olympic gymnast and this is, of course,
exactly what they promised you wouldn't have to deal with when signed
up. They said that as long as there wasn't FIOS offered at whatever
new address we had, we could cancel with no penalty, so when I called
and found out that they didn't have FIOS at our new place, in thought
it would be easy.
First they denied ever offering this, then they said that that since
they had Verizon DSL offered in that town they wouldn't honor it and
finally they said that they just didn't have a way to NOT charge you
the $60 cancellation fee. Of course, being a persistent (and cheap)
Dutchmen, I wasn't going to take any of those answers lying down so
after 2 phone-calls and nearly 2 hours of my life I convinced them to
drop the $60 cancellation because they really didn't offer a
reasonable alternative because going from fiber-optics to DSL is like
going from a Maserati to a Honda Odyssey

1 comment:

Zed said...

As I read this, I'm fighting with DirecTV over their cancellation fees.