Thursday, February 27, 2014

Take on the emergency HVAC repair

Somebody could have warned me that house ownership was expensive.
Within 5 hours of moving all my crap in, we noticed that the vents
were all blowing cold air and we were stuck at about 64 degrees for
our entire second floor, the only heat coming from downstairs.
I first tried to putz around with unit myself but as I have almost no
clue to HVAC systems and can barely tell a wrench from a hammer, that
wasn't a very fruitful endeavor. So we threw six layer of clothes on
the kids, cranked the downstairs heat to 85 and waited for some of it
to creep up the stairs

In the morning when I thawed out my daughters, I made the dreaded HVAC
call. Three hours and $356 dollars later, I had a new thermostat that
promised the latest technology in heat and air control and didn't even
get a handsome HVAC dude like the chick in the picture

MLIA

1 comment:

Zed said...

Did you get a home warranty plan when you closed? This is a common concession that sellers provide to buyers out here.

If not, you may still think about getting one. I pay somewhere between $500-1,000 a year for mine (I forget since it's been almost a year since I paid the premium). It paid for itself 3x over the first year I had the house just from dishwasher and refrigerator repairs. It makes sense when you just bought the house and you don't know how old and how well maintained your home systems have been. This type of repair would have cost you $45 out of pocket.