Thursday, March 21, 2013

take on the Berenstain Bears Christian Series

I used to love the Berenstain Bears and now my daughter does too.   But somewhere between the original authors Jan and Fran dying and the son Michael showing up and taking over the franchise they took a turn for the worse.   Whereas the original theme of the series undeniably had underlying Christian Values they now have become an o over-the-top Christian cheer-leading squad    
The other day, unbeknownst to me, I started reading one of these overt faith based titles and was gagging on the pomposity of it all
I get the thought of teaching a kid right-from-wrong but this jam it down your throat overt Christian bull is just sickening..  

Stick to titles like The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room or The Berenstain Bears Go out for the Team with subtle Christian crap but keep the over-the-top stuff out of my wholesome household...and if you really want to teach kids a lesson that is important to their own safety maybe it's time for The Berenstain Bears and the Creepy Priest where Papa Bear comes over and punches Father Grizzly in the mouth for playing pawsees with Brother

No comments: