Sunday, July 8, 2012

Take on the Wimbledon info box

I watch about 30 minutes of tennis per year. You couldn't pay me to
watch rhe ATP tour in Toledo or some random tournament in Madrid, I
could give two craps about the Davis Cup, Tennis in the Olympics has
zero appeal and I have never seen a single set of the Australian Open
The only chance you have for me to watch is one of the other three
majors and even then I rarely watch the French although the clay
surface does intrigue me a bit because it doesn't feel like tennis
season until they are playing on grass.
I appreciate the transition and history of Wimbledon even if I will
probably not catch a match in its entirety again this year. I can't
figure out why I lost interest because I liked it back twenty years
ago but feel like it's mostly because tennis lacks personality. The
top three men are as boring as a physics convention and any chick not
names Williams has a last name you can't pronounce and probably speaks
no English.
There are only three things that keeps me even remotely interested;
the history and tradition, the chance to catch some Czech tail and the
pure sexiness of Serena.
But when I walked by on some ransom doubles match I caught the top
ESPN box which said Serena/Venus as opposed to Williams/Williams. I
get that these two are divas and like Madonna or Cher you don't need a
last name but this is Wimbledon where they still have to wear white if
you want to walk on the court, where the refs act like they are
refereeing an opera yet they allow ESPN to Bermanize them on
center-court. The Bryan brothers also carry the same last name but I
am sure it reads Bryan/Bryan, when John and Patrick played doubles it
read McEnroe/McEnroe and John had as much personality as both of the
Williams sisters and similar international stature.
I am fine for ESPN to do this in the second round in Cincinnati but
not on center-court

1 comment: