Monday, July 2, 2012

take on the locksmith

When I called a locksmith to get a quote on rekeying a couple of cylinders, I was shocked by the sticker price.     It went something like this

 

Righetti:     I'm looking to rekey a few cylinders at our new place in ******, NJ

Locksmith:   Great, we charge $20 per cylinder.

Righetti:   I'm looking at two doors with two cylinders per door, so I guess it's $80 correct?

Locksmith:  yes you are correct plus the keys which are $2.50 per key

Righetti:   send along 4 keys which should get me to $90 right?

Locksmith:  you got it plus a $30 service call charge

Righetti:  Ok so $120 what time can you get there?

Locksmith:  will check when I get back to the office..

Righetti:  great, is that $120
Locksmith:  yep plus $80 per hour labor cost with a minimum of one hour

Righetti:  wait there is an additional $80 for labor?

Locksmith:  yep..

Righetti:  what is the $30 for?

Locksmith:  service call

Righetti:  what is a service call?

Locksmith:  for us coming out

Righetti:  but I live down the street from your office
Locksmith:  yep
Righetti:   and the $80?

Locksmith: for labor

Righetti:  but rekeying a lock is labor.. there are no parts

Locksmith:  yep.. but people are rich so my boss charges a lot

Righetti:   so I'm looking at $80 for four cylinders, $10 for four keys, $30 for a service call and $80 for labor for a total of  $200?  Do I get a bj with that???

Locksmith:   that'll be an extra $50..$80 if you want to go bareback

Righetti:   do you take visa?

No comments: