Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lint

I once heard somebody ask a question about the color of lint, noting that the lint he finds in his dyer is always gray. He asked if lint was inherently gray, where maybe certain colored fibers tend to accumulate in belly buttons. I have no idea but it seems like an interesting enough question that I thought I'd look it up the next time I was bored.
What I noticed today was after a long day where I got up before 4AM, flew to Chicago and flew back that evening was that my heel was hurting. Not a splitting pain but more of a general irritation. I finally get home and look at my feet which during the winter months get very dry and start to crack especially in the heel area.  I must have 4 or 5 one-inch long cracks running from top to bottom of each heel. They are about an 1/8th of an inch thick where they cut through the dead skin and expose some flesh.   Well as opposed to seeing the fleshy cracks I usually last night the cracks in my heel are all dark colored  I thought it might be dried blood or an infection.   After throroughly inspecting them, I found that each was stuffed with what appears to be sock- lint. Who could guess that some cotton run-off could make my life so bad, by the end of the day I was literally hobbling.

The only good news is that I can report unequivocally that lint is not always gray, it can in fact be dark black.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: