Saturday, January 15, 2011

IMG01532-20110114-1807.jpg

I have lived in New York City for a decade and have take the subway 1000's of time at every part of the day and night. I have also eaten just about every cuisine ethnic or American the city has to offer from fatty duck in China town, Tandori in Curry Hill, rotten cabbage in K-town, dogs from Papayas, dirty gyros from the grease-carts, rice and beans in Spanish Harlem, greasy pizza, calamari in a plastic container from the corner deli and some of the best egg-and-cheese bagels you can think of.
What I have never tried are those donut sticks that the Guatemalans sell in the subway. I am not sure why I wouldn't because I certainly have eaten at plenty of places without that A grading posted in a window. I buy the italian ices from the same guys in the summer time and would easily buy a bottle of water at a crosswalk . I also have no issue with street vendors having my share of dirty-water dogs, chicken on a stick and knishes so I"m far from a germaphobe.
But I can't seem to get over the filth factor of serving fried bread from a big tray planted on a granny shopping cart on a subway platform. The only thing I can equate it to is having no desire to have the Sushi at FD's. You just can't mix those two elements.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: