Friday, April 2, 2010

Taxes

There is nothing fun about paying taxes especially if by some quirk in the system you are lumped into the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). This was set up so that the ultra-rich couldn't take so many deductions that they weren't paying any taxes at all. The problem is that there are quirks in the system which pulls in hundred's of thousands of people under the AMT umbrella although the law was never intended for then.
The irony of the AMT is that it's like an ATM as it takes money out of your account except instead of it ending up in your pocket it is getting funneled into the vast bail-out coffers of the Federal Government. It's like going to baseball game and being told that after you paid for your ticket you would owe an additional 10% when you show up.
The second issue with taxes in this recession is that the money I'm due back has still not hit my account. Years ago you'd have your return in hand within days when you set up electronic transfer but not this year. After 24 days my account is still empty and the handy "where is my return" feature on IRS.GOV tells me that my return is being processed.
I guess they are waiting for all the people who owe money to pay up before I get paid out, this entire thing is an AMT scam and a giant ponzi scheme and apparently I'm Fred Wilpon

MLIA
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Cathy said...

omg i did something really stupid. i ignored my jury duty forms so now i got a letter saying they might throw my derriere in jail or fine my a*ss. i'm kinda scared. do you know anyone else who has done this stupid sh!t?! i am so scared i'm gonna end up in jail. maybe i shouldn't even be writing about this publicly like this since it's an offense. i did my jury duty when i was 22 years old so they should just leave me the f alone. if they fine me, my husband will kill me for being so irresponsible. i have this bad habit of ignoring my mail all the time, i just hate mail cuz i do everything online. and since we have a joint account, he will totally notice if i withdraw $1000 to pay off the jury duty fine. i think i'm gonna have to start keeping some money on the side for "just in case" moments like this. by the way, this is random but is the banana pudding at magnolia better or buttercup bakery? it's just that magnolia's line is outta control. but i don't wanna go all the way to midtown to buttercup either...