Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pocket full of Kryptonite

I love the spring time, love the smell of the grass, the start of the baseball season and the eye-candy in the parks. I love the fact that I can go running in shorts, that it's still light out when I leave work and that I don't need a jacket when I do.


There is one issue with the no jacket thing and I have yet to come up with a real solution. For people like me the jacket serves two functions: heat and storage. I wear a jacket mostly to stay warm but also use it to keep my keys, wallet, newspapers, walkman and anything else I need to shuttle between home and work. Sometimes I carry a messenger bag but most days I try to avoid it since they themselves are bulky and annoying. I realize that this is not an issue that afflicts everybody because if you work and live in the suburbs you are able to use your car for storage but when you leave work on a subway and won’t be back for 10 hours you have to bring everything you will need with you.

You can see the issue here:

If I don't want to carry a big messenger bag, it’s too hot for a jacket, I will not use a fanny-pack, I am too old for cargo-pants and I am not ready to embrace the man-purse thing I am forced to shove everything into my pockets so I walk down the street looking like Hip-Hop Horolombe.

No comments: