Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A good deal

Nothing makes me more convinced that I am getting ripped off then when somebody tells me that they can make me a good deal. This has to be the oldest trick in the book and makes you feel more ripped off that anything else. If you walk into a BestBuy and you see a TV for $1800 you may realize you are getting ripped off but that price can’t really be negotiated. The concept when a salesguy offers you a ‘good deal’ usually means that the only deal you are getting is a thorough colonic. A few months ago I got this treatment while trying to buy a car but it doesn't seem to end with shady car-dealers.


I have spent the last few days getting some price quotes for some scaffolding to be put up in front of a building and getting a price quote for something you know nothing about is near impossible because you have absolutely no idea what a fair price should be. I don’t need the cheapest thing in the world but want to feel like I have some idea about price quotes. I can’t even imagine what the price for something like this could be, the guy can quote you $2500 or $25000 and either way I would have no idea if it’s a good deal.

You’ve heard about bait-and-switch well what some people do is bait and rubber-glove but these things usually come from two fronts. First they stroke your ego and then they confuse you, basically they tell you that you look pretty and then stick an ice-pick into your five hole.

This is basically how my conversation goes

TOR: I’m looking for a sidewalk bridge and scaffolding

Scaffolding Guy: OK we can do that.

TOR: The building is five stories high and about 60 feet across.

Scaffolding Guy: oh you will need ____________ plus ____ and _____. (I am leaving this blank as I have no idea what he said)

TOR: OK, I guess so what is the price?

Scaffolding Guy "For you my Friend, I will make you a deal, 225 and three months free, it is usually 240".

Mind you I had never spoken with him before today, so starting any quote with “my friend” basically means he’s going to bend you over. Then he quotes me something ‘225’ which means nothing to me, is that $225 for the entire tower, $225 per day, $2.25 per foot? If it is per foot I have no idea if that’s $2.25 or $225 and how the hell is it measured by linear feet or cubic feet???

TOR: What does that mean, how much in total?

Scaffolding Guy: well the cost of the tower and the plants (typing away at a calculator) and taking it down and putting it up, plus you’ll need a X4509 and a 3Y26 permit plus the insurance because you don’t want somebody to fall but don’t worry we got a net and that will be extra but worth it and you will have two or three decks and you have to figure that there are costs but I’ll give you a good deal for you my friend. It should be $22250 but for you it’s $22000

So now I know what one price is, I guess, I told him that you and I would get back to me

Since then I’ve gotten two unsolicited phone calls from him, first one to tell me that it would be ‘only’ $20000 and then that he can make me a special deal for $17000. I haven’t so much as thought about the quote and he’s come down $5000..



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: