Monday, March 15, 2010

who are these people

I spend about an hour at the local post office the other day and it struck me what an eclectic cross-section of humanity roamed the place. Now I am not referring to the wackos working there, all of whom looked like they were ready to brandish a fire-arm but this commentary is on the people who frequent the post-office as patrons. Every person online buying stamps was either 15 years into collecting Medicare or needed to have been institutionalized 15 years ago.




I'm not being completely fair because there were a few non crazies there. This particular Saturday crowd basically broke down two line: people getting their passports and people who have probably have been asked to surrender theirs. If you are looking for domestic terrorists your search should begin with people who have a PO Box, I am convinced they are used only by Timothy McVeigh or Unabomber types. Have you noticed that only people I know who have a PO Box also believe the government wire-taps their phones.

I'm sure there are some legit reasons to have one (although I can't think of one that doesn't involve some kind of deceit) but the vast users of the PO Box also wear those over the head transistor radios, talk to themselves and believe Obama is a secret Muslim who was planted here by the Iranian government 50 years ago to overthrow the Federal Government with both his both his communistic and fascistic ideology.

The irony is that this fringe can probably be seen spouting some kind of nonsense at some TeaParty rally while they themselves only use the huge budget-crushing post office for their own mail and a PO Box for their address.. You can't really be against government interference if you refuse to us UPS or Mail Boxes Etc. If you happened to also believe the government is spying on you, would using the US Post Office really give you peace-of-mind?

But we digress, not everybody looked like they were waiting for a mail-order delivery of fertilizer, the rest of the crowd at the post-office were dressed like they were homeless (maybe they were) and stood too close to me online. I counted 55 people who came through the post-office in that hour and there were not 10 people, I'd trust with a knife (I'm starting to sound like one of them actually)

At $0.44/letter with no expected delivery time, I wonder how long it'll be before UPS or FedEx decides to get in the game, at least then I'd never have to associate myself with this class of vermin again.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

You will have to wait until Congress gets rid of the USPS before you'll see any competition. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 7, gives the power to Congress "[t]o establish Post Offices and post Roads" and therefore, the rest of us just cannot constitutionally compete!