Monday, March 8, 2010

The Art of Deception

Anybody who uses Social Networking sites has willingly given up their privacy, it's the world we live in today and I think we are all aware of the potential levels of embarrassment which is plastered across cyberspace.
Facebook offers some protection of privacy allowing it's users to show certain amounts of information only to people in various circles of closeness. I believe that FB allows for a ripple-effect where a certain circle can see everything while others may be able to see less.

This in itself is a worthwhile endeavor but it leaves one loophole: pictures which you didn't post but were tagged in.

See some guy may have taken your picture and posted it and now anybody who is in their circle can now see this (potentially) damaging picture before you have any chance to react.

I know you can un-tag but this does nothing to protect your image while it was out there between the tag and un-tag stages.

The second part which is sort of odd is when you click on a picture of a friend which was tagged by a person you don't know. You can hit the link to see the picture but now you are exposed to the new person's entire photo-album.    It's weird how it works but you can't seem to just facebook stalk just anybody but if you get a backdoor entry like having a friend tagged in a photo, you now are right in the middle of the life of a person you may not know. I like this for my own stalking but I realize other people can use this to go through my pictures.

I know there are tons of embarrassing pictures of me all over the web but then again I have gone over 500 straight days of blogging every embarrassing injury I have had so my political career is sealed anyway but I do wonder if there shouldn't be some kind of 'accept tag' function which could potentially

Plus they should offer a DESTRUCT option where you have the option to blow up a picture posted of you so that it no longer is posted at all. They have to limit this to like 5 per year since you would be removing another person's addition but I guess having your bare-ass mooning the camera is something most people would prefer to have some ability to delete.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Sneha said...

myspace used to have this option. i always wonder why new networking sites always fail to have the easiest add-on missing. even some wall writing on facebook should be asked for approval. especially in my case, there are many times i don't want people to say what they say on my page because it's usually one of my indiscretions which i choose to forget